Port Aransas has always been a popular place to fish. But in the 1930s, it earned a national reputation for hosting what’s now one of the largest, oldest, and best community fishing tournaments along the Texas coast. This year marks the 82nd annual Deep Sea Roundup, and it’s going to be even better than ever!
Everything You Want to Know About the Tournament
The 2017 Deep Sea Roundup will start Thursday, July 6th and continue into Sunday, July 9th. In addition to the all-day fishing competitions and awards ceremony, the Deep Sea Roundup will include dinner, a shrimp dump, a silent auction, and a memorial fish fry.
Where to Go
The Port Aransas Civic Center will be a central hub for the festivities after the fishing competitions and will feature a bar and delicious dinner. The fishing competitions themselves will take place off the coast of Port Aransas.
After the weekend competitions, feel free to stay a while and enjoy all the shops, restaurants, and parks in the Port Aransas area!
What to Do
The Deep Sea Roundup offers fishing contests for all ages, so avid anglers of all skill levels can compete and have fun. There are five divisions overall:
- Offshore — Test your angling skills against some of the largest fish off the coast of Port Aransas, including barracuda, black fin tuna, sailfish, wahoo, and white marlin. Red snapper will also be a trophy fish this year.
- Bay/Surf — During this competition, you’ll have the chance to catch black drum, flounder, mackerel, redfish, and spotted sea trout swimming closer to shore. While not as intense as offshore fishing, the Bay/Surf division still presents a challenge for any skill level.
- Fly Fishing — Redfish and trout are the only two species eligible in this division.
- Tarpon Release — Tarpon is a catch-and-release species only in this competition. The winner for this division is based on the highest number of release points per boat.
- Billfish Release — Similar to the Tarpon Release division, the Billfish Release winners are determined based on the number of release points. Blue marlin, white marlin, and sailfish are all eligible in this division.
A Junior category and free Piggy Perch for the little ones are also part of this year’s Deep Sea Roundup. You can view a full schedule of the events here.
How to Register
If you haven’t already made plans to participate in this popular fishing tournament, you still have the opportunity to register. With registration, you’ll have access to the open bar on all three nights of the tournament, a shrimp dump on registration night, and meals on Friday and Saturday nights. Here’s a breakdown of the registration costs:
- Advanced Registration (due by July 1st) — $100 adults, $80 juniors; you can find registration instructions, including where to mail the form and how to make checks payable, here.
- Same Day Registration — $120 adults, $100 juniors
Experience All Port Aransas Has to Offer!
The Deep Sea Roundup is just one of many reasons why Port Aransas is a popular vacation destination. Great fishing spots, plenty of events, and a laid-back coastal lifestyle are just a few hallmarks of our area! If you’ve been considering investing in a vacation home in Port Aransas, let’s talk. Contact me at 361-790-2990.